Rider & Motorcycle Training CBT Test Requirements

Any learner riding a powered two wheeler on the road after 1.1.97, must hold a current CBT Certificate unless, they are on the road riding element of an approved CBT Course.


Compulsory Basic Training – CBT

Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) must be taken before you can ride on the road. Once you have successfully completed CBT, and have your Certificate of Completion of an approved training course (DL 196), you can carry on and take additional training to pass your test and qualify for a full motorcycle or mope
licence. CBT Must be completed before riding on the road by all learner riders who are resident on mainland Great Britain, islands that are connected to the mainland by road, and the following islands :- Wight, North Uist, Lewis, South Uist, Harris, Benbecula, mainland Orkney and mainland Shetland. Residents of all other islands will be exempt from the need to take CBT, but only if riding on roads which are on an exempt island.

A CBT certificate is valid for 3 years from the date of issue or for 3 years from 1.7.96. whichever is the later.

Every candidate attending for a motorcycle test must comply with the following requirements:

1. Produce a valid UK Licence, correctly signed and indicating a current provisional entitlement for the category of vehicle to be tested on. The only acceptable alternative to the Licence, in cases where it may be at DVLA or the Courts is Form D441 (Temporary Certificate of Entitlement) obtainable at a cost of £3.50 from a Local Vehicle Licensing Office.

2. Produce a pass certificate for a motorcycle Theory Test, or alternatively a Full UK Car Driving Licence which provides exemption from the Theory Test.

3. Produce a current CBT Certificate (DL196)

4. Candidates will be asked to sign a disclaimer indicating that they have current insurance cover, and that the vehicle has an MOT if necessary.

5. The vehicle must be in roadworthy condition and display
a current Road Fund Licence (There is now no 14-day period
of grace allowable)

6. All candidates will also be required to produce photographic proof of identity at both the Theory and Practical Tests. This measure will remain in force until the introduction of the new photocard driving licence, and must be in the form of a Passport, Workplace Identity Card, or photograph signed and certified on the rear by a responsible person (MP, JP, doctor, lawyer, police officer or an approved motorcycle instructor) as being a true likeness.

Licence Options

With effect from 1.1.97 there will be two main classifications of UK Full Motorcycle Driving Licences. Both classifications will also be issued with endorsed restrictions that will result from the type of vehicle that the test is taken on. The basic licences are:

CATEGORY A1 – Light Motorcycle Licence

The practical test for this category must be taken on a motorcycle of between 75cc. and 120cc. On passing the test the full licence allows the rider to ride any Light Motorcycle without L-Plates up to a maximum capacity of 125cc. And with a maximum power output of no greater than 11kW. (14.66bhp.)

If the test is taken on an automatic or semi-automatic machine (Honda C90, Yamaha TY80, Honda Vision 80, etc.) then the licence will be endorsed with a restriction limiting the rider to drive only automatic and semi automatic machines up to 125cc as above.

Training and testing for this category is ideal for the rider that uses a light motorcycle for commuting to work etc., and has no inclination to move onto a larger machine.

CATEGORY A2 – Standard Motorcycle Licence

The practical test for this category must be taken on a motorcycle of between 120cc. and 125cc. On passing the test the full licence allows the rider to ride any Motorcycle without L Plates up to a maximum power output of no greater than 25kW. (33bhp), for a period of two years. After the two year period the Licence is automatically uprated to allow you to ride any two wheeler ever built.

If the test is taken on an automatic or semi-automatic machine then the licence will be endorsed with a restriction limiting the rider to drive only automatic and semi-automatic machines up to the power limits as above.

Training and testing for Category A1 and Category A2 (restricted) are the only options for learner riders under 21 years of age. The effect of this legislation therefore means that for young riders, no one under the age of nineteen will be able to ride a motorcycle more powerful than the 33 bhp limit. (Unless they passed a test before 1997.)

Direct & Accelerated Access Options

Riders over the age of 21, or those who are 21 before their two-year restriction ends, have enhanced options open to them and may train for a full Category A licence that is unrestricted.


The practical test must be taken on a motorcycle with a power output of no less than 35kW. (46.6bhp). On passing the test the full licence allows the rider to ride any Motorcycle without L Plates, and avoids the power restriction imposed by the standard licence.

If the test is taken on an automatic or semi-automatic machine then the licence will be endorsed with a restriction limiting the rider to drive only automatic and semi-automatic machines. (Anyone remember the Moto Guzzi V1000 Convert?)


This option is exactly as above but is the route taken by the holders of power restricted Full Category A licences who are 21 or over before the two year restriction ends and wish to move up to a more powerful machine. You will return to learner status and restrictions whilst training and testing on the larger bike, but a test fail will not affect your previous licence status.


You may train and test on a machine that exceeds 46.6bhp provided that:

1. You are accompanied at ALL times by a Department of Transport Approved Direct Access Instructor or Examiner.

2. You are in radio contact with your escort.

3. You observe the standard learner regulations, L-Plates, no pillions & no motorways.